Is the Christmas season and we all know cookies are pretty much one of the best parts of Christmas. Whether or not you are making for a party or just a cozy night with Netflix, there is always a reason to whip up a bunch of cookies during the holiday season.
- 3/4 c. (1 1/2 sticks) butter, softened
- 3/4 c. packed brown sugar
- 2/3 c. molasses
- 1 large egg
- 1 tsp. pure vanilla extract
- 3 1/4 c. all-purpose flour
- 1 tbsp. ground ginger
- 1 tsp. baking soda
- 1 tsp. ground cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp. ground cloves
- 1/4 tsp. ground nutmeg
- 1/2 tsp. kosher salt
- 2″ piece fresh ginger, grated (optional)
- Zest of 1 orange (optional)
- 1/2 tsp. finely ground black pepper (optional)
- Sugar Cookie Icing, for decorating
- Sprinkles, for decorating
- Use a hand mixer in a large bowl, mix in the butter, brown sugar, and molasses until fluffy for about 2 minutes. Add egg and vanilla and mix until combined.
- In a medium bowl, whisk flour, spices, baking soda, and salt until combined. With the mixer on low, gradually add dry ingredients to wet ingredients, as well as fresh ginger, orange zest, and black pepper (Option), until the dough just comes together. (Do not overmix!)
- Divide the dough in half and create two discs. Wrap each in plastic wrap and chill until firm, about 2 to 3 hours. (Alternatively, divide dough in half and roll each piece of dough between two pieces of parchment to 1/4″ thick. Chill until firm.)
- Preheat your oven to 350° and line two large baking sheets with parchment paper. Place one disc of dough on a lightly floured surface and roll until 1/4″ thick. (Alternatively, peel off both sheets of parchment from the dough, then replace one sheet of parchment back underneath the dough.) Cut out gingerbread men with a 3″ wide cutter and transfer to baking sheets.
- Bake until slightly puffed and set, it takes around 9 to 10 minutes depending on the size of your cookie cutters. Let cool on baking sheets for 5 minutes before transferring to a cooling rack to cool completely.
- Repeat with the remaining disc of dough. Decorate with icing and sprinkles. (Option)
Watch How To Make It
BEST SELLER OVEN